Thursday, February 18, 2010

The trip to Olongapo

So I left San Francisco at 9:00 pm on Feb. 10 and with a quick refueling in Guam made it to Manila in just 17 hours!(6:00 am Feb. 12) WOW! Met Esther in the airport going to her 50th year school reunion nice woman and then I sat next to a woman named Milo, however she was headed home for the funeral of her sister in-law.Anyway,after we landed I then made my way through the Immigration line (funny the line next to me is going 3 times as fast as this one! oh well) then on to collect my bags (an adventure to say the least) I kind of just stood back and watched people push their way to the luggage turnstile and waited till I saw my bags. A very kind man grabbed them for me and as I was getting them together here comes Esther to guide me out of the airport. (thank you Lord) We went through customs (I thought this would be more intense but the guard just checked my passport and on we went)So out the door we go only to get in another line checking to make sure we left with our own baggage(good idea) so Esther and I parted ways here as I found a metered taxi to take me to the Victory Liner bus station in Passay, what a drive! I guess it is just a free for all on the roads, you play this little game and if you hesitate well???I have to say my taxi driver was quite amazing and I was completely at peace in the cab.(for those of you that know me and driving with others you will be amazed)So here we are at the Victory Liner and before I can get out of the cab someone has my bags and is directing me, how nice,)I bought my ticket to Olongapo and payed the guy for helping me with my bags. Now I am on a greyhound type bus for a 3 hour drive to Olongapo. Funny they had some Steven Segal shoot em up movie playing for the whole ride! We pulled into the Ologapo City bus station and there is Leslie waiting for me to get off the bus(Praise God!)we practically had to tear my bags away (no no salamat, means thank you but no)finally in the car and they whisked me away to a pancake place for a meal and then to the base for a nap.They are feeding the children on 12th street at 4pm so I said" wake me and I will go." What a treat, such warm and friendly people, living in mostly squatter housing, malnourished both physically and spiritually. But God, one of my most favorite beginings in the bible, but God has used Project Life along with Sonny and Leslie to bring nourishment both to body and soul for these people.So this is a taste of my first day in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment